Grammar Nazi - Part 1

OK, grammar Nazi time...
Honestly speaking, I am not an English expert. Subjects like phonetics or the origin of the English language are not known to me as I do not have a degree in English. However, my English is good enough for me to spot mistakes that either make you want to cringe or sit the offending party down to an intensive English language lesson!

The pictures below are mistakes that I see nearly everyday. These belong to a property developer company.

Browse through the pictures below. The mistakes are so glaring that I really do not understand how such error can occur from a company like them!





What does having a fully equipped fitness centre got to do with being "energetically"? First of all, the usage of the word energetically is wrong. Even the word energetic is already wrong in this context. You do get the message that they are trying to convey, but it makes you (or me rather) go "Energetically what?"




This is an easy example. If you cannot get this, please let me know. I will also sit you down to an intensive English language lesson. It is not exclusively. It is just exclusive. Full stop.
Exclusive, no -ly.
If you want to use "exclusively", use it for sentences like this:
The event is open exclusively to special guests, socialites and dignitaries.

You cannot leave the word "exclusively" hanging in mid air. It is wrong. Wrong!




This is worse. I feel for their English language teachers. Our government's "efforts" in educating our future world leaders are not efficacious enough it seems. Neither is it, effective. The word "efficaciously" should not even be there in the first place. Oh my gosh! Roar..!!

The synonym for efficacious is effective. Can someone please tell me, how on earth does having an elevated garden with cabanas and viewing decks be EFFECTIVE or efficacious in any way??? I honestly do not understand this. Like what??? *groans*


In all three pictures (oh, there are more I tell you, the horrors), their biggest mistake was changing the adjectives to adverbs. Adverbs should never be used as a sole word. Adjectives are fine. Not adverbs. Adverbs are always followed by verbs, adjectives, other adverbs.

For example: Use Beautiful and Beautifully to replace the word "efficaciously" in the last picture.

Beautiful. Elevated garden etc.
Verdict: Acceptable.

Beautifully. Elevated garden etc.
Verdict: No!!!

Beautifully what?
Arranged? Played? Written?

Do you get the picture? Not the three pictures above, of course.
The property developer was trying to use all the fancy-schmancy words starting with the letter E. But seriously, use it well.

There's one part of it where they used the word, "eloquently".
Like hello?? *snaps fingers*
Eloquent is to be used for speech, writing, expressions of emotions not buildings or property. Buildings cannot be expressive. Have you ever seen the KLCC twin towers yawn, or gesture in frustration???

Sigh... This is horrible....I am definitely going to gesture in frustration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Mr. KT

Of Vampires and Werewolves

My Future???