Merdeka to Me

What does Merdeka mean to you?

For all these years, Merdeka meant holidays! Yay! Other than that, Merdeka has never had any special meaning to me.

If I were to be interviewed live with the above question, I'd most probably be giving my blur face I'm famous for. I'd be quiet and stare at the interviewer as if he or she has hair spurting out of their ears.

Seriously.

I have no idea...I can't just say 'holidays' right? (Sounds so idiotic tsk)
I guess it's because I don't really get the true meaning of Merdeka or independence.
We, especially the youths born long after the independence, will very unlikely grasp the true meaning and what it actually signifies.

But then, who can blame us? Look at the political situation in our country! It's horrible. Is it no wonder so many youths especially students who just finish their SPM opt to further their studies overseas???

I sometimes feel ashamed that I do not have that fiery, patriotic feeling inside of me. Every year it's like, "Yay, Merdeka. Can sleep in or go out somewhere with friends or family." I don't bother to go for the Merdeka eve celebrations, or the day celebrations itself at Stadium Merdeka, or switch on the TV to watch the live procession. I don't fly the national flag at home or on my car. I don't paint the Jalur Gemilang on my face or wear it as part of my national costume. I do nothing of this sort at all!!!

But does that really make me less of a Malaysian? Less loyal or patriotic?
I have no idea... :(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Mr. KT

Of Vampires and Werewolves

My Future???